Friday, August 7, 2009

I think this is identity theft.....What do I do next....?

Today in the mail I received a letter from a credit card company. I thought it was probably another offer for a credit card and almost threw it into the trash. But, I opened it, it was a bill from a credit card company whom had sent me offers before. It was a new account in my name with on-line purchases in Austrailia the credit card limit was 1000.00 and the interest was almost 35%. So I immediately called the company. On the automated it ask for my SS# Well I thought to myself they should already have it and ignored the request. I finally reached customer service and she told me that I should call back on Monday morning and speak to the fraud department. Well it is Saturday evening. What should I do next? I sure hope there isn%26#039;t more cards and lines of credit opened up in my name. Thanks in advance.



I think this is identity theft.....What do I do next....?student loans company





It sounds like identity theft. My husband and I were recently victims as well. Call that credit card company back and demand that they freeze the account and put a fraud alert on your credit report. There is no reason they shouldn%26#039;t be able to make a fraud note on your acccount or cancel the account over the phone right now. To be sure, you can go online to any of the three major credit reporting agencies and place a fraud alert on your credit report. This will stop any new accounts from being opened in your name unless you are physically present to open them. You are also entitled by law to receive one copy of your credit report for free from each of the major companies.



Double check your bank balances and other credit card statements as soon as possible - online if you can - and make sure there are no other problems. Also, check that the address that the companies and banks have on file for you is your actual address - ID thiefs change the address so you don%26#039;t even get the bills. You%26#039;re actually lucky you got one and are aware of teh situation.



Call the local precinct or sheriff%26#039;s department and file a report. Make sure you keep the original bill you%26#039;ve received in the mail.



http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/id...



The above addy is for the Federal Trade Comissions%26#039; ID theft page. It has info, resources, and instructions on what to do and what your rights are. Good luck and don%26#039;t give up - if you stay on top of it, it gets cleared up eventually. Also, make sure your phone number is on the %26#039;do not call%26#039; list and check out ways to stop receiving junk mail - check out www.optoutprescreen.com for info on ways to opt out of receiving pre-screened credit offers, which is a big way that ID thiefs get ahold of your info.



I think this is identity theft.....What do I do next....?

loan



I%26#039;d report this to the police, and call the credit card company again on Monday morning. Also check your credit reports with all three credit reporting agencies - you can do this online from the site annualcreditreport.com, it won%26#039;t cost you anything and you can do that now without waiting until Monday - and see if there are any other accounts showing that you don%26#039;t recognize.



And on Monday, also write a letter to the credit card company disputing the charges and explaining the situation, besides just talking to them.



I would have thought that their customer service department could have blocked the account from accepting any more charges - maybe they did.|||Call Trans Union Fraud Dept toll free @ 1 800 680 7289 and they will put it on Fraud Alert and notify the other 2 Credit Bureaus for you. Then request your free credit report from annualcreditreport.com or call them toll free @ 1 877-322-8228. If the charge is on there dispute it. They have 30 days to reply or it comes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment