Sunday, August 9, 2009

I believe I have been victim of fraud. How can I protect myself from further identity or credit dama

A friend referred me to a travel agency for a good deal on round trip to the caribean. I purchased a round trip for about $100 less that online cheapest offer. However, the suspicious thing is I paid with check because they didn%26#039;t take credit cards. The agent cashed the check almost immediately because by the time I called my bank to cancel the check the money was out. Continental Airlines (website and over the phone) told me that the confirmation # I got from the travel agent was invalid. The travel agent seems to be long gone. She is not answering the phone.



She has my Driver license info. What can I do to protect myself from further damage?



Please, please help.



I believe I have been victim of fraud. How can I protect myself from further identity or credit damage?yes loans





First of all, file a police report right away. This will help document the crime and help any recovery efforts later on.



Close your checking account and report to your bank that you%26#039;re a fraud victim. She has your account number and can initiate electronic withdrawals from your account. Don%26#039;t waste time with freezes or alerts on your account. The lag time on those may allow her to take out more money or it might inconvenience you when you try to use your account. Close it right away and get a new account number.



Call the three credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. Tell them that someone has your personal info and ask them to place alerts on your file. The alert means that these credit agencies have to call you to confirm anytime someone tries to apply for credit with your info. This will help prevent more potential fraud.



Go to the DMV with the police report and tell them what happened. Some states will put an alert on your file and some states may even let you have a new number.



And most of all...be diligent! Monitor your bank account daily if possible and monitor your credit reports once a year. Call your bank and creditors right away if something doesn%26#039;t look right!



I believe I have been victim of fraud. How can I protect myself from further identity or credit damage?

loan



www.lifelock.com $10 a month ... Gtd up to 1 million dollars of protection. Can%26#039;t beat it.|||Your drivers license number should not be enough for ID theft ,



Unless you gave her your Social Security # too . . .



Did you ?



Regardless , if you are concerned , have the big 3 freeze your accounts .



No new accounts may be opened unless they contact you first at a phone number you designate .



As far as the check , that is theft and should be reported to the Police .



Was your friend part of this gypsy scam ?



%26gt;|||Alerting the credit bureaus is a really good idea. I would also have your bank help you close your checking account and open up a new one so that the account number on the check you wrote would no longer be valid. The %26quot;travel agent%26quot; has now gotten your account number and may try to create fraudulent checks. Also, talk to the bank about the fact that you were the victim of fraud like this. They may not be able to do anything because you actually did write the check, but it never hurts to see. They might be able to give you back the money.|||First, call Experian at 888-397-3742 to place a fraud alert on your credit reports. The are required by law to share your request with the other 2 credit bureaus. Now if anyone (including you) attempts to open an account anywhere using your Social Security number, you%26#039;ll receive a phone call seeking your permission. An initial fraud alert lasts at least 90 days. An extended alert locks your file for 7 years.



Second, watch your credit report like a hawk on a regular basis is the best way to insure your identity has not been compromised or stolen. Each of the credit card bureaus is required to give you 1 free copy of your credit report each year. To obtain 1, go to annualreditreport.com.



Third, call the police. By filing a report you%26#039;ll have a much easier time recovering your good name and credit rating with your creditors.

No comments:

Post a Comment